Enabling ASP.NET on a Windows Server 2003 64-bit

I installed 64-bit Windows Server 2003 (R2 with SP2) for the first time this week. Surprisingly, there is no option to enable ASP.NET on IIS even though I have all the .NET frameworks installed and updated.

The Add/Remove Windows Component Wizard does not have ASP.NET as an option under Application Server. Neither does the Managing Your Server application.  In 32-bit Windows Server, it says Application Server (IIS, ASP.Net) but in 64-bit it is as follows:




As it cannot be done through the GUI, I checked up the Help documentation. The documentation says my next task is to enable ASP.NET but I couldn't find any clues on how to do that.

Finally I found the instructions hidden in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894435, an article which really does not apply to my situation as I want a pure 64-bit server.

The steps are:

a.  Install and enable IIS first.  Do this through Manage Your Server or Add/Remove Windows Components.
b.  Run: cscript %SYSTEMDRIVE%\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs SET W3SVC/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 0
c.  Run %SYSTEMROOT%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i
d.  Enable ASPX (and ASP if you need it) via the Internet Information Services Manager, as follows:




Hope the above works for you as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attack Lab - Level 5 explained

Setting to English for the Xiaomi Wifi Router

Assembly version, File version, Product version